Below is a list of Property Tips for Property Buyers, Property Investors, and for people selling property, in London and all over the UK.
It is a comprehensive list of all our Top Tips as seen on our Twitter page @BuyingAdvisor, which will be updated regularly.
Scroll down to the bottom for the latest tip.
- First thing you do when you complete contracts – CHANGE THE LOCKS!
- Vendors: Please remember to sign your deed of transfer before the day of completion.
- Sole Selling Rights in an estate agents contract is not Sole Agency. You will still pay them if you sell privately. Do you want that?
- Vendor: Not everyone loves your open plan bathroom in your bedroom – think first, cutting edge design or speed path to divorce.
- Daily Tip: Buyers : Practice your poker face – if you enthuse too much it will make negotiations harder, alternatively, hire us !!!!!!!!
- Daily Tip: Investors: Only buy furniture when a tenant asks NOT before as U may be stuck with profit eating storage costs. #propertyinvesting
- Completion in brand spanking #newdevelopment today. Always check appliances are wired in…#developers can be lazy!
- Should #buyers and #sellers meet? Could be a match made in heaven or curdle like a homemade hollandaise!
- Daily Tip: #Buyers: Check the walls behind bookcases and sofas – it may not have been re-painted with the rest of the room!
- Daily Tip: #investors: Use the same carpet and fittings on all your #portfolio. It saves money and time when repairs are needed.
- All our overseas buyers are avoiding London during the #Olympics. Need to sell, push your agent hard NOW. There’s 35 days left….
- #Buyers PLEASE don’t pick your #solicitor because they are cheap. They are cheap for a reason.
- Sellers: you can only make one first impression, have the foxes attacked your bins?…clean it up NOW.
- #Buyers: If a #property seems too good to be true, it probably is. Get a thorough survey and have the lease scrutinized
- Daily Tip: #Investors: Works always costs more than you think – add a 15% contingency fund as a minimum!
- Daily Tip: INSIST on a Party Wall Agreement if ur neighbour is doing work.A sledgehammer can easily find its way thru ur smart kitchen wall
- Daily Tip: A damp guarantee is not worth the paper it’s written on unless the company is still in business. Take note
- Investors: as soon as you exchange, if the agent/vendor allows, get the property on to the rental market to reduce any void periods
- #Buyers: Buying above #commercial? Check the usage band in case there’s a chance a fried chicken shop may move in beneath you!
- U do not need a flood survey in #London unless U think La Palma is going to collapse. So far the #ThamesBarrier has done its job.
- #Buyers: A compass; so small, but can tell you if your garden and front windows will get any afternoon sun in an instant…useful.
- Find a #tradesman you can trust and hold on to him like glue, if you can find one in the first place that is! #wishfulthinking.
- #Buyers: Open up all the kitchen drawers and cupboards. Don’t be shy, you are buying the fixtures too.
- #Buyers: In Chelsea, watch out for the tube – it is Very CLOSE to the surface in places and can be teeth rattling.
- Top Tip: Buyers: Don’t move in to your new home on a Friday, the roads are busier and removal services often offer mid-week discounts.
- Top Tip: Buyers: Buy in a town where a Waitrose and/or Marks and Spencer is being built, it seems that’s what people look for in a town.
- Top Tip: #Buyers: Take your own photos and/or videos on a viewing, of the bad stuff and the good stuff to help you remember properties.